Monday, January 14, 2008

Cleaning & Organizing

So what is it about a New Year that makes us want to clean house? Get rid of unwanted/unused items & organize the ones we still can not bring ourselves to get rid of right now?
Is it the "New Year, Fresh Start"? I have gotten almost all of Christmas put away, a few things I can't bring myself to put away just yet, the faux evergreen draping swag across my large display cabinet and the crystal swags on the mantle with the new aqua ornaments I purchased at The Barn after Thanksgiving, there is the Needlepunch item I bought from a fellow PRHG member with an American Santa inside an old mantle clock and my Folk Art Randolph & Stanley (click my Etsy link to see them). These few items make my heart glad & I don't want to put them away just yet.

I am trying to clean out & find some things a new home. I have been blessed with so many things that I feel the need to either sell them (the not so sentimental ones) or find them a new home with someone who will use or appreciate them. Heck I am willing to even barter here...we need a few things done around here that we can't seem to find enough time to do...New Pool Pump, House Painted (inside & out), Landscaping & irrigation work, Floors cleaned & refinished, Carpets removed & hardwood installed, that thin stone put on the lanai deck.

The older two kids really don't have the same taste in decorating or the desire to 'rescue' items that I think should be appreciated and not put in a Landfill, things that you just know have a wonderful history and if they could speak they would tell you stories of where they had been & the things they have seen.
The younger two already have way more than they need and I am trying to 'URGE' them to do the same in their rooms.

I don't know if it was the way my Grandmother made sure to hold onto things because she lived during The Depression, the fact that I had to support myself & the two older children completely on the money I earned for 8 yrs, or the fact that it makes my heart break that our society thinks everything is 'disposable', or I that I keep hoping that there is someone out there that needs & can truly use these items that I can't bring myself to just toss these things.


Okay enough of a break back to work....


Blessings 2 U Friends

1 comment:

Rachael said...

The rugs are beautiful. Such a lot of work has gone into them. I have only ever made one rug from apurchased kit and it was in acrylic yarns which didn't give it the luxurious look your wool ones have.

I too am in a clearing out mood now that we've entered 2008 but like you what to do with stuff too good to go to charity shop and too much of an effort to put on ebay!